This Conference will take place in the afternoon of 15 October 2018 during the Hangzhou Forum of United Nations Centre for Trade Facilitation and Electronic Business (UN/CEFACT) (14 to 19 October 2018).
The UN/CEFACT Blockchain Whitepaper Project was launched in May 2017 and currently has 75 participating experts. The project has been exploring:
- How Blockchain technology could be used to facilitate trade and related business processes
- How existing UN/CEFACT deliverables could be used by Blockchain application developers
- Possible changes to existing UN/CEFACT deliverables, or new deliverables, that could be considered in order to support Blockchain trade-facilitation related applications.
Follow the URL for more complete description of the project. In April 2018, a conference/workshop was organized that went over the different potential use cases of blockchain in multiple sectors of activity. The presentations from this are available on the event website.
Following the successful blockchain conference in Geneva that examined a broad set of blockchain use cases and issues, this workshop will build on the results and focus on the implementation of blockchain in trade facilitation. The discussion will focus on three questions:
- "When is blockchain the right solution?" - this part aims to cut through the hype and present practical decision trees that will help participants understand when blockchain is the right solution and when it is not.
- "What practical implementations can I learn from?" - this part aims to present lessons from real implementations that can help participants achieve success.
- Using UN/CEFACT standards in implementation – are there gaps?
All interested in finding out more about how Blockchain could be used to support trade facilitation.
AGENDA / BROCHURE as .pdf
13:30 – 14:00 - Pre-Conference Introduction to Blockchain (for those not familiar with the topic: a selection of short videos)
14:00 – 14:10 - Welcome Address
Ms. Ivonne Higuero, Director, Economic Cooperation and Trade Division, UNECE BIO
14:10 – 14:30 - Blockchain – When? Why? Why not?
Approaches to evaluating the benefits and risks
Mrs. Virginia Cram-Martos, UN/CEFACT Blockchain Project Leader, CEO Triangularity SàRL BIO PPT
14:30 – 14:50 - Overcoming Implementation Hurdles, A Practical Example from Russia
Mr. Dan Weinberger, Co-Founder, Morpheus Network BIO PPT
14:50 – 15:10 - Blockchain in Practice in Maritime Transport PPT
Mr. Richard Morton, Secretary General, IPCSA, BIO
and Mr. Nico de Cauwer, Port of Antwerp BIO
15:10 – 15:30 - Hands on the Blockchain - Some Experiences from the Australian Department of Home Affairs
Mr. Steve Capell, Enterprise Architect, Australian Government Department of Home Affairs BIO PPT
15:30 – 16:00 - Coffee Break
16:00 – 16:20 - Supply Chain and Beyond: Blockchain in Healthcare
Mr. Ahmed Abdulla, Founder and CEO, Digipharm PPT
16:20 – 16:40 - Blockchain in Trade Facilitation: A Private Sector Perspective on Challenges and Opportunities
Mr. Moshe Hogeg, CEO, SirinLabs PPT
16:40 – 17:00 - TradeTrust: A Singapore Blockchain Initiative
Mr. LOH Sin Yong, Director, Trade Sectoral Transformation Group, Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) BIO PPT
17:00 – 17:20 - Q & A
17:20 – 17:30 – Closing