Chair of the Regional Forum
UN Deputy Secretary-General
Executive Secretary UNECE
Two focus events on cutting-edge topics took place in the plenary room:
- Technology, Digitalization, Artificial Intelligence – Curse or Blessing for Sustainable Development? (22 March, 10:00-11:25)
- How to Measure Progress? Data and Statistics for SDGs (22 March, 11:35-13:00).
The peer learning round tables focused on the implementation of the following five SDGs under in-depth review at the 2019 High-level Political Forum.
|First set of round tables (22 March, 10:00-11:25)||Second set of round tables (22 March, 11:35-13:00)|
|Learning without Limits: Lifelong Learning and Inclusive Education||The Power of Knowledge for Change: Education and Learning as Drivers of Sustainable Development|
|The Growth We Want: Solutions for Sustained, Inclusive and Sustainable Economic Growth||The Future of Work: Productive Employment and Decent Work for All|
|Bridging the Gap: Achieving Greater Income and Economic Equality||Towards a World of Equal Opportunity: Tackling inequality caused by exclusion and discrimination|
|Acting for Climate: Stepping Up Climate Change Policies, Action and Awareness in the Region||Coping with Climate Change: Strengthening Resilience and Adaptation|
|Strengthening Institutions for Change: Fostering Effective and Inclusive Governance for Sustainable Development||Empowering People to Protect the Planet: The Environmental Dimension of SDG 16|
Governments and other stakeholders were asked to provide case studies from their national experience in implementing the five SDGs, which framed the discussions at peer learning round tables. The compilation of all case studies is available here.
Please find here the report of the meeting (EN, FR, RU) including the Chair’s summary of the discussions. In its final version, the report will become part of the official documentation of the High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (9-18 July 2019, New York).
- SDG Report
How are we progressing on the SDGs? The SDG Snapshot Report provides on overview of some aspects of SDG performance in the UNECE region.
Who attended the Regional Forum 2019? Please have a look at the list of participants.
All the essentials on logistics are summed up in our guide for participants.
EN FR RU Programme Provisional Agenda
Speaker Statement Chair of the Regional Forum: H.E. Ms. Ogerta Manastirliu Opening Statement UN Deputy Secretary-General: Amina J. Mohammed Special Address UNECE Executive Secretary: Olga Algayerova Opening Statement Chair of the Regional UNSDG Team for Europe and Central Asia: Mirjana Spoljaric Egger Opening Statement Director of the Environmental Policy Centre at the Finnish Environment Institute SYKE: Eeva Furman Keynote Address Director-General of the UN Office at Geneva: Michael Møller Closing Statement UNECE Executive Secretary: Olga Algayerova Closing Statement Member State Statement Armenia Statement High-level Policy Segment Belarus Statement High-level Dialogue on Voluntary National Reviews (VNRs) (Russian) Germany Statement High-level Policy Segment Israel Statement High-level Policy Segment Switzerland Statement High-level Policy Segment Organization Statement Civil Society Organizations Opening statement Civil Society Organizations Closing statement Youth representative (European Youth Forum) Reporting back Council of Europe Statement Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Statement Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) Statement
- News & Photos
UNECE Regional Forum Shares Country Experiences in SDG Implementation (IISD Knowledge Hub, April 2019)
- Regional Forum: Opening Regional Forum: High-level Policy Segment Regional Forum: Focus Event 1 and Focus Event 2 Regional Forum: Connecting the Dots Regional Forum: Closing Regional Forum: Side Events
- UNECE Regional Forum 2019: Peer learning for a sustainable future (March 2019)
- UNECE’s Regional Forum 2019: Giving fresh impetus to sustainable transformation (September 2018)
Please find here a note on the Evaluation Survey of the Regional Forum on Sustainable Development for the UNECE Region for 2019.
Thursday, 21 March 2019, 13:00-14:30
- Forest Quiz Time: Test your forest knowledge
- Youth Pre-meeting: Open session for all stakeholders
- Reducing Inequalities in Access to Clean and Safe Water
- Voluntary Peer Review Mechanisms in support of Sustainable Development in the Mediterranean
Friday, 22 March 2019, 8:30-9:45am
- A sustainable future for all by fostering labour inclusion of persons with disabilities
- Youth Organisations' contribution to the 2030 Agenda
- Drug Policy and the Sustainable Development Agenda: Challenges and Opportunities in the European Region
- Ensuring Inclusive and Equitable Quality Education and Promoting Lifelong Learning Opportunities
- Eurasian Economic Commission: View on Inclusive Growth and Sustainable Development
- Linking peace, justice and development through good governance in SDG 16
Friday, 22 March 2019, 13:15-14:30
- Equal Pay for Work of Equal Value
- Economic Growth vs Environmental Sustainability - What does the growth target in SDG 8 mean for developed countries? (Statement from side event)
- Financial Inclusion: Matching Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) and Investors
- The Global Migration Data Portal: International Migration Data in Europe
- Leave no one behind: Driving policies through data and a human rights-based approach
- Partnership for People: The UN Multi-Partner Human Security Trust Fund for the Aral Sea region
21-22 March 2019
- Civil Society
Civil Society Pre-Meeting (20 March 2019, Palais des Nations)
Youth Pre-Meeting (21 March 2019, International Conference Centre Geneva)
For the first time, a pre-meeting for and by young people was held ahead of the Regional Forum. Please find further information in the agenda.
Regional Consultation on the Plan of Action for Integrating Volunteerism into the 2030 Agenda (21 March 2019, International Conference Centre Geneva)
Led by UN Volunteers (UNV), this consultation engaged member states, UN bodies and other stakeholders in highlighting regional perspectives on volunteerism in the region. Key findings from the Regional Synthesis Report on Volunteerism were presented and discussed with participants during the event.
- Pre-Meeting for VNR countries
Regional Preparatory Meeting for the 2019 VNR countries (20 March 2019, Palais des Nations)
UN DESA organized a Regional Preparatory Meeting for the 12 countries of the UNECE region undertaking Voluntary National Reviews (VNRs) in 2019. The meeting took place on 20 March 2019 at the Palais des Nations; participation upon invitation by UN DESA.
- Public procurement
Pan-European Regional Workshop on Sustainable Public Procurement (19-20th of March 2019, Palais des Nations)
Building on existing national activities, this first regional workshop facilitated the exchange of good practices and lessons learned in developing and implementing Sustainable Public Procurement policies and practices. Please find the further information here.
Join us on twitter!